Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day Two

Catchy title for this blog, don't you think?

The morning was spent with Beth Moore; I do love that woman! If I ever meet her face to face, I won't be able to thank her enough for the time she spends studying the Word of God, so women like myself, can dig in, learn and be encouraged. If you haven't read any of her books or done any of her studies, I highly recommend you do!

The ladies and I, will be studying the book of Daniel over the next few months. I can already tell, after only the introduction, that this lesson is going to prove to be amazing! There are a couple of thoughts I gleaned from this morning's class, that I'd like to share with you.

Are we being indoctrinated by our culture? or are we being deliberate about living for God? Can I tell the difference in my life? Can anyone else? I have this inkling feeling that I'm being more indoctrinated than living. Have I adopted the mentality of "I am" or "me" instead of "others" and/or "God"?
Daniel resolved not to eat the royal food provided to him by King Nebuchadnezzar. No matter how delicious that chocolate pie looked, he didn't want any part of eating it!
Did you know, and this is something I didn't, that in Daniel's day, if you shared a meal with someone, you were committing to a friendship with that person?  Sharing a meal was of covenant significance, it wasn't just casually sitting down, eating, drinking, talking and then going on your merry way. By refusing to eat the royal food, Daniel was taking a stand saying, "Hey... I don't want to be friends with this king. I don't want anything to do with him. Therefore count me out for dinner."  He resolved not to be part of the world around him. He remained faithful to his God.

Am I relevant or have I become absorbed by the culture I live in?

Until we meet again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment