Thursday, February 25, 2010

Image Builders

Are you an image builder? Do you enjoy "dropping names" to make yourself look a bit more than what you really are? I'm guilty of dropping a few names. Am I proud of it? No.
As you know, I'm doing a Daniel study with Beth Moore. Again, I can not emphasize just how amazing this woman is, or rather how amazing God has made her! I highly recommend you do one of her studies or read one of her books. I guarantee you will walk away a different person.
Back to this name dropping idea. If we are anything than what we seem, we are image builders. I have to ask myself, am I in public, who I am in private? I've had to work on presenting myself as real. It takes quite a bit of refining and God isn't done with me yet, but I'm making progress.
If we are image builders, aren't we adhering to the world's ideals and values? I mean, if I decide to drop a name to build my self image up, aren't I focusing on the "me"? Wouldn't that be considered self seeking or self centered?
Is being too humble a bad thing? Ponder this quote from Beth for a moment, "constantly thinking little of ourselves is still thinking constantly of ourselves." If I have a bad self image, which is leading me to name dropping, am I still self seeking? I believe the answer is yes. A prevailing sense of inferiority is just another form of self-absorption. So, where is the middle of the road you might ask? The world tells us to seek position. The Word says, "Seek God." Matthew 6:33 says, and I'm paraphrasing, if we give our entire lives to the pursuit of God, everything else of value, position, name, etc., will find us.
I've been chosen by the God of all creation for a live worth living. Not to glorify me, but to bring glory to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment